Charlie's Bird

living the dream with Charlie and Thandi and chirping all the way back to the nest.

Back to form

…what a relief! I managed to get some good, tough runs in this weekend. A tough 12km trail run on Saturday through the mountains, that has left me with skinned fingers after a slip; and a solo 3 hour training run yesterday, which did test me mentally.

The trail was stunning. I mentioned we were heading to the mountains with our friends, so we ran through the little hamlet in the mountains, taking a course along one of the hiking trails, which saw us see the big tree (and it really is big), 2 waterfalls and some gorgeous scenery. I was lucky enough to have MB run it with me. He is one of those naturally very fit and athletic kinda guys, but he looked after me well; waiting for me, making sure I got water at the watering points, helping wrap my hand up after my slip. It would have been rather a lot less fun on my own. I felt good afterward, which is where I can feel my fitness and training paying off. On Sunday I was a little stiff in my hips, but that I think is because of my layoff because of my injury; which thankfully has fully recovered, and the nature of the terrain we ran along. I really must say it, trails are not for sissies!

Sunday, we had a lovely morning wandering the farmlands around where we staying. We took the girls for a walkwhinewinge to see the damns and rivers where there are trout swimming around. The scenery really was gorgeous, and the walk loosened up the stiff muscles. We headed home, and then my test long run awaited. It’s quite hard to run for that long around the suburbs, on your own. Charlie is very protective of me, so lots the route ideas I had he vetoed, with good reason. So it took some creative planning on my point, but I managed to find a decent route. Charlie and Thandi met me along the way with water and nutrition. It was good to try out different potions and options. The one I liked the most was probably the Steers soft serve ;-). Being a small town, I did meet a few people along the way, and those occasional shouts of encouragement from friends and random strangers do make you kick up those legs. Right towards the end of my run, when I was really flagging, a very experienced runner friend of mine came across me and got me through 2 more kms at a pace I didn’t think I still had in my legs. He was a life saver. And at least the chit chat vaguely distracted me from the ache in my hips! I was supposed to run for 3 hours, but finished in the dark with 15 minutes to spare, and thought that that was probably good enough. So long run done! Paris, I’m coming to get you, ready or not!

016 024 045 049


  runnermum wrote @

Wow 3 hours on your own!! That is impressive – we are so fortunate in Gauteng – we have races each and every Saturday and Sunday, so we never have to run long runs on our own.

You are going to have so much fun in Paris! Do you have a time in mind?

  charliesbird wrote @

It was seriously tough doing the 3 hours. There are some great clubruns on Sundays, but I missed this week because we had spent the night out of town.
I’m hoping for about 4:30, but I think my training days lost because of my injury may slow it down a little more.

  MamaCat wrote @

Glad to hear you are recovered from the injury.
Love that second picture of the trees in silhouette.

  charliesbird wrote @

Those mountain scenes are so special!

  Alexandra wrote @

ooooo so exciting!

Love the pink polka dot plasters

  charliesbird wrote @

They were actually little hearts! Hehe!

  Alexandra wrote @

even better

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: