Charlie's Bird

living the dream with Charlie and Thandi and chirping all the way back to the nest.

Home again

Jiggety jig; home again, home again, jiggety jog!

After a great weekend away with TAFKAD, DrHF, CB, Charlie and Thandi, we are home, following a brief stop in at the neighbours for a little laparoscopy and hysteroscopy for me. Needless to say, I am glad to be home, and am nursing a rather tender tummy.

We arrived in Knysna, checked into our accommodation and DrHF and I went off to register for the half marathon. My nerves were shot by this stage, but I did keep trying to remind myself that I was the best prepared that I had ever been. Funnily enough, my brain knew that, but just didn’t want to believe it! Anyway, after a hearty lamb shank and cauli mash meal, it was off to bed for an early night. I struggled through the night, a bit of tossing and turning, but I made it to 05h00, and then DrHF and I were off to the taxi pick up zone. From there we were ferried to the start, deep in the forest, and then we waited for about an hour and a half before the 08h00 start to the half. My run went according to plan, I paced well, had my energy chew at the right time, and pushed for the last 8kms. I was really chuffed with my finishing time. In a mere 4 months I have come a long way from a 2:55 to a 2:10. Thanks to Coach Mo (soul running, if you want to look him up)

Saturday continued with a gorgeous lunch at Zinzi’s, set in the gorgeous Hunter’s estate, looking out onto the garden; I appreciated the falling rain, very glad it hadn’t happened a few hours earlier when I was still on the road. We enjoyed some delicious bubbly, tasty red wine and a glorious meal (kingklip main for me) all round! Yum! Then a nap and an early night for us, as the 3 singletons hit the after party! Sunday was a casual day, breakfast at Il de Pain, and a wander around the shops. DrHF and I headed off for a late afternoon massage at the Amani Spa at the Turbine Hotel – highly recommended! then finally there were some oysters, some tapas and the World Cup Final (go Germany!)

Monday after a slow start, we meandered down the coast, as I prepared for my date with the surgeon’s knife. we stopped in at the Storms river Mouth, showing Thandi one of the most incredible places on our coastline. Whales were breaching, the sea was fairly furious, the aloes in bloom, it was a very special afternoon. Photos to follow.


No comments yet»

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: